www.flickr.com
almadbren's items Go to almadbren's photostream

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Got homophobia? Come to Wisconsin.....

Marriage Amendment Referendum
99% OF PRECINCTS REPORTING
> Yes 1,256,208 59%

No 858,259 41%

To say the above results are disappointing, is an understatement. We were pretty sure this would pass even though Wisconsin usually leans toward the Democratic side of things.

Personally, I think the way they worded it on the ballot was so damn confusing, half the people that meant to vote 'no' probably voted 'yes'. I had to read the thing 3 times before I understood what the hell they were saying and most people probably didn't take the time to do that. Either that or I'm just making excuses for the homophobes.

Don't get me wrong, Wisconsin is a great place. You would be hard-pressed to find a more beautiful state, especially once you get North of Milwaukee. We happen to live much further North than Milwaukee and the further North you get, the more backward things become. But you will also have a hard time finding nicer people, they truly are representative of the midwest stereotype and that is a good thing.

It looks like we aren't alone, 3 other states (so far) also felt it necessary to ban gay marriage, maddening.

Even though this topic didn't turn out the way I had hoped, I am tickled shitless at the Democrats kicking ass. Usually I don't align myself with any particular party, but there was no doubt in my mind that it was time for the Republicans to go, the Democrats can't do any worse, that's for sure. Now, two more years of Junior Bush and we will be free of him too - that certainly can't happen soon enough. Now, if the Democrats could find a candidate that could string two sentences together without making an ass of himself, we'd be getting somewhere.

Personally, a Green Party candidate would be fine by me, but we all know what a snowballs chance that is!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Oh Wisconsin, why why why? I share your disappointment...and some of your love of Wisconsin (being your Southern neighbor). :)