www.flickr.com
almadbren's items Go to almadbren's photostream

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Final Product

We survived, are home and recuperating.

I think I can honestly say, that was one of the best experiences of my life. Does anyone believe in fate? Well, I do and believe that group was fated to come together for this project. The relationships we made with total strangers in just 5 days was amazing. It was hard for any of us to leave. When the cabin was finished, we all just stood around and tried to find things to do so we wouldn't have to say goodbye. Of course, we all exchanged information and there are at least 6 of us that are making plans to get together and help each other build their cabins.

Two of the women were from Minneapolis, so that works perfect for us. We also just so happen to be members of WEI - Women's Environmental Institute located in Almelund, Minnesota, which is close to me. WEI asked Maria and Eileen if they would build a cabin on WEI's property for them to use as a retreat cabin. Now, Julie and I will be helping with that build.

Our instructor, Randy, was the perfect person to teach this class. His patience and laid-back good nature was such a gift. He was the perfect fit for our group.

Ok, enough slobbering all over the keyboard about how awesome it was. Below is the link to all the pictures. Some are just of the basic construction so I would remember it and others show the whole group.

While I was there and reading their new catalog, another class caught my eye: Superior/Gunflint Photography - the Fall Equinox Session. The class runs from October 8-12th. Grand Marais in the Fall is something I can't imagine, but guess what? I'll be there. I signed up and paid in full before I ever left the place, otherwise, I would have talked myself out of it. "It's too much money", "that's Maddie's birthday week", "we'll still be harvesting vegetables" - all the excuses ran through my head as I handed over my credit card and charged the entire tuition and then the excuses just faded away.

I talked to Randy about places to camp up there, which of course, there are many. Since I'll be going by myself, I won't bother getting a hotel and am really looking forward to the solitude of camping alone. Hopefully, I'll have pictures of my own Thoreau Cabin to show Randy when I return in the Fall.

Enjoy the pictures and ladies, if you are even considering something like this - do it. Find somewhere to go and just go. Do whatever you can to silence the 'excuse train' and pay your money - then you won't back out.

The Final Product

7 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

That photo album is pretty impressive. Can you you believe you actually built a cabin?

jenny said...

awesome! what a cool experience!

it really is beautiful up here - you will love coming back in the fall! :)

Sarah said...

It sounds like such a wonderful time!!! So lucky!! And it was so beautiful!! I'm not jealous...much ;)

Minnesota Matron said...

That is amazing! You're absolutely right about the 'I don't have time' or 'there's no money" and all the other excuses we make. Whenever I've done something that really challenged myself or stepped outside of my comfort zone, I've been transformed. Our family has fabulous friends who live in Brazil who've been begging us to come for two weeks. Once we're there, they'd pay for everything. But the money to get there! Two weeks! I know we should do it.

KJ said...

AWESOME! Sounds so amazing. I'd love to do something like this. My excuse train is long and... wait, it just ran me over. lol. I'm gonna go check out the pics now!!!

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I miss MN in the spring/summer. It's too hot/humid down here!

Akkire said...

feel better! after 5 days, my cold is takin' a hike, so I hope yours does not last much longer.