www.flickr.com
almadbren's items Go to almadbren's photostream

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

In Preparation for the Holidays

Well, the decision has been made that we will be travelling to Illinois to visit my family for Thanksgiving. This decision was made with some trepidation as my family is.......let's see how I can say this........crazy, batshit crazy.

The only people in my family that are not crazy are my brother and my uncle, who is really like my brother because he is only 4 years older than me. The only reason I wanted to go was to see these two people and my granda, who I love more than life itself and was looking forward to seeing, however, she had to go to Texas because her son, my other uncle, was recently diagnosed with cancer and has about 2 months to live, which is a huge downer on both counts. Anyway, it was a little hard to say, "sorry, since grandman isn't going to be there, I'm not coming" - that probably wouldn't go over very well.

I'm not really looking forward to going, the dysfunction level is extremely high and it takes all of my detaching skills that I learned from years of co-dependant therapy, just not to kill someone, especially my mother.

The plan is to just keep a level of intoxication going for the whole 3 day visit, not drunk, mind you, just that level that you get where you don't really give a shit and permanently have a smile on your face? Yeah, that one. My brother and uncle feel the same way about the situation, so we are just going to stick together and help each other out by intervening if we see each other's ship going down.

Sad, I know, but true. Believe it or not, it really makes me appreciate my husband's huge Catholic family and their holidays - no tension, no fighting, just a lot of drinking, eating, playing games, laughing, more drinking and a general good time. Oh well, we can look forward to that next year and the upside is that if I go to Illinois for Thanksgiving I won't have to go for Christmas!!

How about you - how are your family get-togethers?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Angie!

I read your TT post about your wish to put TT on your blog as well. If you got any questions don´t hastitate to come around and let me know how I can help you. TT is a great fun =)

Enjoy your holiday (-planning)


Happy TT from Germany,
S.

*~*Cece*~* said...

Hey Angie, if you want a bit of help getting a TT started let me know I'd be happy to go on email w/you and help you out.

Back to commenting on your post: What you described is what *I* feel its like on my husband's side of the family. I dont' know, they all seem weird to *me*, thank gawd we don't spend holidays w/them anymore.

Now my family? Shoot, how you described your husband's family is MY family! Eating, drnking, talking, laughing, games, singing, drinking, eating, laughing, drinking and more laughing. That's us! Luckily we all end up at my grandparent's house and its only 5 blocks from our own house. So we're never far from home.

Good luck with IL, and when it starts getting too much to handle, look ahead to Christmas and remember you won't have to be there with them for that holiday!