www.flickr.com
almadbren's items Go to almadbren's photostream

Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Story.....

Once upon a time, there was a woman who had three small children. She chose to stay home with those children and take care of their every whim (like wiping their butts, noses, mouths, etc.). This woman loved being home with her children and took great pride in keeping everything running like a top. She cooked, she cleaned, she did laundry, she grocery shopped, she took care of the yard, she took the kids to the park.........her life was pretty great.

Then one day, as her children grew older, she decided to homeschool these children and continue to keep them with her and impart all her wisdom on them and let them grow in an environment that supported them openly in all their ventures. This brought many adventures and strenghthened the relationship even more. The kids prospered, continued growing up, turning out to be real individuals.

Then this brilliant woman decided, "Hey, we don't have enough going on here, why don't we start a business?" I love to garden, I love to teach people how to eat locally and organically, let's start offering to grow food for other people." So, as with all the other ventures in her life, this woman set off and started a business with all the tenacity she could muster. Lo and behold, the business took off and much to her surprise, was a success.

Little did this woman realize that back when she was doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, wiping various body parts of children and feeling like she was bored out of her mind, those were the easiest times of her life.

Since deciding to 'challenge' herself and take on 500 million other things, she realizes that now. Guess what? Too late! Now this woman that used to pride herself on her clean house and well-run machine of a family? Well, she is lucky to get a load of laundry a week done, her house is a complete disaster, her kids are basically on their own for meals (whatever they can dig out of the fridge that isn't getting cleaned) and is generally two steps from insanity.

Yesterday, this woman transplanted 600 tomato plants, 450 pepper plants, 300 flowers, planted 20 lbs of seed potatoes, 1000 onions plants and 200 plugs of salad mix. All that, after she fed the 75 chicks, 25 hens, 2 rabbits, 1 pig (soooo cute!! - I will post pics, I swear), and the new lamb!! Dear God.

The moral of this story? Watch what you ask and dream for.......it might just come true. I've always wanted to live on a farm and grow vegetables and flowers. Even though you are loving your dream? Be prepared to 'let go' of a lot of things that used to be really important to you. Like clean underwear. What? You can turn them inside out, right?

Here's to all the women out there who are living their dream and struggling to find the balance.

3 comments:

*~*Cece*~* said...

Good lord, woman! Ok, I've got to admit the first thing that went though my mind when I read all that you planted, was what a wreck my nails would be if I had to do that! LOL

I hope you sat back, took pride in your work, while drinking a cold beer!

Angie said...

You already know me so well! A cold beer is exactly how I celebrated. Ok, actually about 4 or 5 cold beers, but who's counting?

Nails?? Right. If I could post pictures of my nails you would die! I'm lucky if they are clean and not filled with dirt, let alone painted and looking nice!

Oh well, maybe I'll treat myself to a manicure in the fall.

As always, thanks for reading. Oh and I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma - I was busy planting and missed the opportunity to tell you how sorry I was. Take care, Cece.

*~*Cece*~* said...

My moto is: As long as you're drinking at home you don't have to count beers! lol

Thanks, I'm back at work and feeling much better. Its just life, you know. As hard as it is, it is what it is. Thanks for being there.