www.flickr.com
almadbren's items Go to almadbren's photostream

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Strange Winter

What a gorgeous morning this morning. The sunshine is streaming through the windows and I'm loving it. As I've stated a time or two (or three, or four), I am not a winter person, but as long as there is sunshine, I can survive. When there is anything over 2 days of 'doom and gloom', it kills me. We have been extremely lucky this winter - it is the mildest winter we can remember. It really has not been cold, really cold yet at all and the sun has been in abundance.

One of our friends told me the other day that there is only about 6 inches of frost in the ground and it is January! Whether he's right or not, I'm not sure - but all of this is a little unnerving. As you all know, I am starting our CSA this year and am worried that because I was given an easy winter (because it is all about me, right?) then we will have a wet, cold spring and there is nothing worse than that when you are trying to grow food. Around here due to the short growing season, we need to get stuff in as soon as possible - so cold and wet doesn't really work. That's me, always waiting for the other shoe to drop!! My husband says if he didn't know better he would think I was raised Catholic.

I spoke of our little rooster problem yesterday. Well, it is no longer a problem. I won't go into the gory details, but needless to say, the problem doesn't exist anymore and my husband was cleaning his gun last night. You put 2 and 2 together if you want. I'm anxious to see how this will change the dynamic between the two existing roosters. I hope they can just get along because I really like the 2 that are left and don't want to have to 'off' one of them next. As strange as it is, the kids thought it was pretty cool and saved a couple of tail feathers off of Gus - God, how morbid that sounds - but isn't this 'life on the farm'? Please don't send hate mail - I feel bad, but we can't have a terrorist rooster on the place.

Alright, enough babbling, off to finish the final seed order to Johnny's and order some more books. Anyone have any good book suggestions on organic faming, gardening or just sustainable living? I'll take all the info I can get.

No comments: